Monday, April 12, 2010

Procrastination Is The Best Motivation...

If you wait till the last minute, it will only take a minute. Truer words were never spoken. This little adage rings especially true as I am currently writing my paper at 1 in the morning mere hours before the deadline. Thank goodness its finals week and the library is conveniently open till 2 in order to properly meet my procrastination needs. If I think back to all the time I have wasted between the time this paper was assigned and the time that I am currently doing it, I realize that I could have written it a thousand times over. This is apparently a lesson that I will never learn, because probably 98% of all my school work in the last few years has been accomplished in a similar manner. As I continue to make up paragraphs, cut and paste things from the internet, and increase the font size little by little to fill up my 6 pages I realize that I wouldn't have it any other way really. All that wasted time was fun, and I am sure that I made some fun memories wasting it. Plus, that's just how I roll.

The more I think about it the more I realize that school is all about jumping through hoops. I doubt that my ability to find the second derivative of a function, tell someone why Friedrich Nietzche thought "god was dead", or explain how Bernoulli's Principle is the reason why a 150 ton plane can fly through the air will be a determining factor in my personal or professional success. That being said, I think college has been an incredibly valuable and irreplaceable experience. I've learned how to learn, communicate, work hard, make deadlines, work in teams, follow instructions, take charge, lead a team, live on no sleep, budget my money, live with strangers, be responsible, think on my feet, be original, be creative, be positive, push myself, get out of my comfort zone, rely on myself, rely on faith, rely on others, and probably a thousand and one other extremely applicable things. Whatever I end up doing and where ever I end up doing it, they can teach me job skills and how to do technical things but the aforementioned traits that I have developed, they can't. And it's those things that make me who I am and will lead me to be successful.

Now, I am finally done with my paper. Is it the best I've ever written? No. Is it the worst I've ever written? No again. But its done and its good enough so I'm gonna go waste some more time, eat some Swedish Fish and watch Arrested Development on my computer before I go to bed. Now I know all of you who just wasted, I mean meaningfully spent, the last 5 minutes of your life on the edge of you computer chairs reading this funny yet spiritually uplifting blog post are going to be wanting more entertainment in the near future, so I want you to know that I am already working on entry number two, and it's going to be above and beyond anything you could have imagined. (pretty sure that last one was a run-one sentence)

1 comment: