Monday, February 14, 2011

Why Last Weekend Was Surprisingly Good...

I was not expecting this past weekend to be a good one. But in hindsight, it actually was.

1. Friday started out with a good gym session. Good gym sessions are rare for me these days. My gym attendance has actually been quite consistent lately, mostly due to my dedicated friends who’s company I apparently value much more than an elevated heart rate. I don’t seem to be able to participate in the day’s juicy convo and actually work out in my target fat-burning zone. I end up doing a lot of slow motion “elliptical-ing” and “stretching”. Once in a while some “weight training”. (This consists of me halfheartedly flinging around a 5 pound dumbbell for about 5 minutes. But Friday was different, thanks to a combo of “What About Bob” playing in the cardio cinema, and a certain guilty pleasure song I listened to 5 times on repeat. It may or may not have been by Will Smith. (Okay, I’ll admit it- “Getting Jiggy Wit It” has always been my go-to running song. I kid you not, I once ran 5 miles to that song repeated 13 times.) I stayed for an hour and actually worked up a nice sweat. Which did make necessary a shower before work, but I’m sure my co-workers appreciated it.

2. After work, I paid a visit to Orem’s most reputable chiropractor, Lowry Harris. By reputable, I mean under-the table. This guy literally charges $15 cash/$20 check to basically crack your entire body. And he does a dang good job of it. It’s the weirdest establishment- the guy literally doesn’t have any other employees. I’ve been there twice now- each time, I walked in to find this odd old man standing behind a counter-no receptionist or assistant in sight. He looks kind of like the old guy on the short clip before Toy Story- the guy who plays chess with himself. He handed me some sort of waiver/medical questionnaire but told me he only needed my first name and birthday on it somewhere. Then he started doing all sorts of weird number tricks with the digits in my birthday. Something about adding your age to the year you were born…? I don’t know, I was distracted by the Navajo looking figurines and dead plants decorating the lobby. After the math lesson, he took me back to this creepy little room where he expertly fixed my crooked hip. That part was quicker than the number games at the front desk. I was in and out in 5 minutes tops and my back still feels fantastic.

3. Friday night Brock and I went to CafĂ© Rio to celebrate the successful completion of a particularly hard test he’d been studying for/stressing about. Brock is one of those really good, dedicated students who makes studying a priority and won’t take a test until he feels confident with the material. Not surprisingly Brock is one of those students who gets really high test scores, which is saying a lot for some of these accounting classes. (The stuff he studies might as well be in Japanese- I’m just glad there are certain minds out there, Brock’s being one, that can grasp that stuff because I sure can’t. ) When I was in school I took more of the “pray-really-hard-and-have faith” approach… It worked.. sometimes…

4. Saturday afternoon my brave sweet mother decided to do something very daring. She let me highlight her hair. I am in no way trained to do this, but somehow I have managed to teach myself a few tricks and honestly, I am really not too bad. My mom is what I consider to be a perfectionist and I really think she was genuinely pleased. I also got to go to lunch with my mom and my friend Megan who I hadn’t seen in a while. Brick Oven’s salad bar got a run for its money, I’ll tell you that. I think I completed about 4 salad bar trips.

5. On Saturday night, I worked at Magleby’s Restaurant. I’ve worked there on and off (mostly on) for about 4 years now. It’s one of those job’s that emotionally attaches you, or at least it has with me. For some reason I just love working there. It’s probably a combination of fast paced serving shifts that fly by, my absolutely hilarious and awesome co-workers (some of which I’ve been friends with for years) and the great food which I freely partake of throughout my shift. On Saturday, I had the honor of serving Provo’s hottest celeb as of lately: Jimmer Fredette (sp?). I didn’t take a picture, as I wanted to appear cool and aloof to the fact that his name is currently being inserted into scriptures all over facebook. His family was delightful- they were legitimately so witty and funny. Plus, they all ate the buffet which is 1. Hardly any work for me and 2. The priciest thing on the menu. Hello grocery money for a week! I like working weekend nights at Mags, partly just because the extra income is much appreciated, but also because I really do enjoy serving. For some reason the restaurant work is legitimately enjoyable to me. Plus, Brock has now started traveling every weekend with the UVU baseball team, so it distracts me from the fact that I am a temporary widow every weekend. I’d rather work than sit at home watching E channel (I have embarrassingly stayed shockingly current in my viewing of the Kardashians and Holly’s World… eww) and eating a whole loaf of toast (yes, this happened last weekend).

6. Sunday was great. Brock came home and brought his sister Bailey to stay with us for a few days so she can go up to Logan and interview for a leadership scholarship. Between Bailey and Brandy (both of Brock’s sisters) I feel incredibly lucky to have such awesome sister-in-laws. The Sargents are great and have made it so easy for me to feel comfortable and, well… part of the family! I also spent the better part of Sunday evening eating an entire bag of M&Ms. Not an individual bag, not a king size bag. A family size bag. Hmm, sounds like perfect fuel for a gym workout. A good gym workout.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I lived close so you could highlight my hair. I pay a lady $90 almost every two months...{choke}...it sounds even worse when I read it. That's WAY too much for someone with no income :( Miss you Carr!

    ReplyDelete