Saturday, August 20, 2011

Things I Miss Most about Utah

Cafe Rio

Naturally, food is the first item to make my list. After having battled cravings for six weeks, Brock and I finally made the 45 minute drive to the Gilbert, AZ Cafe Rio this afternoon. Their pork very well could be laced with crack. Withdrawl symptoms usually kick in about ten minutes after I've finished the above pictured beauty. Although I feel lucky to still have Cafe Rio as an option down here, I definitely miss having the luxurious and tasty option of dining there once a week. (At least.) 

The Canyon

Although of course I didn't realize it during the 18 years I lived ten minutes away from it, I am convinced that Provo Canyon is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Well, at least in this part of the country. I may have a slightly distorted memory of the place, because the month right before we moved happened to be the most beautiful it  has ever looked. Because of the loooong winter, the grass and trees were extra green and the river was higher than I'd ever seen it. Brock and I went on walks in the canyon about once a week the entire time we lived there. We even got engaged there! I also have great memories of long morning canyon runs with some of my best friends last fall. As great as Arizona is, I doubt I'll ever find a place that compares to Provo Canyon.

Family (duh)


Family should have been number one on here, but to be honest, a Cafe Rio salad picture was easier to google and upload. Being away from my family for the first time in my life has proved to be MUCH harder than I thought it would be. Living ten minutes away from my parents was always so convenient, I'm afraid I sometimes took it for granted. Why wasn't I over there every single free minute of every day? I feel so lucky to have such an awesome family who support Brock and me in everything we do. There is always something going on at my parents house; there is never a dull moment. I have the most fun, laid back hilarious family ever. This picture is missing Jeff (although there are some with him photoshopped in floating around somewhere) who I also really miss. He'll be home in February from his LDS mission to Germany. He and his new brother-in-law will get along great. Then there is the Sargent family. I am so grateful I got to marry into such an awesome family! They made me feel so included and comfortable from day one. (I was the nervous, probably awkward girlfriend on my first ever "meet the parents" trip.) They are always so much fun and I miss them like crazy too. I can't wait for it to cool down here, so we can hopefully get some visitors!

My Besties



I have never been much of a phone-talker until we moved. Now I find myself searching through the contacts in my phone every time I have a few minutes to kill. My drive home from work flies by when I'm having a nice chat. Even though I can't be there to go to lunch with, exercise with, or just hang out with my favorite girls, I know that we'll all stay in touch.

My Old Job

I don't have a picture of this (I am also sick of uploading things. I have a new found respect for professional bloggers and the effort they put into all of this uploading!) I know I've always said it, and I probably always will, but I seriously feel lucky to have worked at Magleby's all during college. I'm pretty sure that never again will I find a job that I actually enjoy doing. I loved being a server. I loved that the shifts were laid back and flexible, I loved making tips and walking home with cash at the end of the night, and I loved the people I worked with. I am now working 9-5 which is what grown ups do. This is normal and this is good. I know I can't just dink around and wait tables with my best friends forever. However,
I do realize how good I had it back in the day.

Maybe I am just a total "grass is greener" person. Because as much as I miss Utah now, I specifically remember being absolutely thrilled when I found out we were moving to Arizona. I couldn't wait to get out. And you know what, as much as I miss things back there, I really do like it down here. I mean, we haven't even been here a month! Sometimes I get kind of lonely and homesick, because I put everything in Utah on a pedestal. I remember the beautiful sunny days, the baseball games, the fun nights out etc... I tend to filter out the early mornings scraping the car, the months and months of rain, and the beauty (lack thereof) of State Street in Orem. All of my memories are there. Of course I don't have any fond memories here. There hasn't been enough time to make any! I really do like it down here. When it comes down to it, I like Arizona because this is where my husband is and as long as I'm with him, things are good!  








1 comment:

  1. I feel the exact same way! I find myself counting down the years until we can go back home to Utah. It really is a beautiful state. But we've been away from home for 2 years now and have had all sorts of adventures. I'm excited to read about all of yours. I miss your awesome family too :)

    ReplyDelete