Saturday, October 22, 2011

I Think It's Been a Good Day...

Why has today been particularly enjoyable?

1. I woke up and ran 4 miles. On the treadmill. Honestly, I'm pretty sure that without decreasing the speed, I could have walked the entire thing and not fallen off the back. And yes, falling off the back of the treadmill is definitely a possibility; it has happened. More than once. But much worse is when the treadmill speed decreases suddenly without your knowledge, sending you careening into the front of the machine at breakneck speed. Or, in my case, a breezy 6 miles an hour.

Engaging in this particular form of exercise is a huge deal for me.

Unfortunately, so is my butt these days.

Which leads me to accomplishment 2.

2. I received a box of Kirkland Signature brand chocolates from my boss as a gift yesterday. (I later found out that they were left over from Christmas '10- still, chocolates don't go bad do they?) They sat perched atop our coffee table all of last night, tempting me with their plaid ribbon adorned decadence. Today? After eating one, I repeat ONE chocolate piece, I threw the entire box away. Into the big garbage. (I've been known to lose willpower and dig things out of the trash before.) For most people this act would be considered wasteful and foolish instead of a victory. But sometimes pre-commitment is necessary and I just don't trust myself to treat the box like a normal person and enjoy one chocolate a day for a few months. Those babies would have ended up slapped onto my hips by tonight. And I'm sorry, but it would take many an hour on the treadmill to undo that damage. 40 minutes today is plenty for me.

3. I finally got my hair did. I will post pictures later, but I've had a really hard time doing the arm stretch self portrait technique today. I tried to send Brock a picture of my hair at work and I ended up somehow looking like an angry pedophile. My pet peeve about hair salons is this: they are always so vague about prices. You look online and a partial weave is listed as starting at $70. Okay, I can live with that. I assumed that if the price was going to be higher, due to extra product usage, they would let me know first right? Wrong. When all the foil folding, washing and trimming was done, I was presented with a whopping $130 bill! What the...? How did that happen? Don't you think the stylist should have warned me that when she mixed an extra bowl of bleach the cost was gonna double? And due to the 4 years I spent in the restaurant industry, I pride myself on my generosity when it comes to tips. You know, karma and all. So after a 20% tip, I was out the door $160 poorer. But... I refuse to let this get me down. I really like how my hair turned out, and I have definitely learned my lesson. Any place that gives you a hand massage during your conditioning treatment and applies lip gloss to your lips post blow dry (so awkward) is gonna be pricey.

4. My parents are coming to visit on Wednesday!!! Sorry to get so cheesy- 3 exclamation marks in a row? But really, I am thrilled to have visitors. If moving away has made me realize one thing, it's how much I love and miss my family. We are trying to think of some fun things to do while they're here, but we'll probably just end up doing a lot of relaxing. Which sounds perfect to me. While I'm on the note of family, I also had lunch with my cute cousin Rachel who is attending ASU. She told me all about her college life adventures and I told her all about... well, I didn't have much to contribute. If this blog's content is any indicator, nothing too exciting is happening to me these days. Ha.

5. Luckily the weather is finally starting to cool down. I can't believe I consider a high of 83 degrees as "cool". But I think we've got some really nice months ahead of us. I drove all the way to my hair appointment with the car windows down, blasting my music enjoying the morning sun and freeway induced breeze. For the first time, I actually felt glad to be in Arizona, weather wise. I still miss my hoodies though. Maybe in January....

1 comment:

  1. You go Carr! Proud of you. I've been having major eating setbacks lately too. Must be the onset of cooler weather and the need to prepare by storing fat. Hmmph. I LOVE reading about your adventures! You're a great writer. Have a good time with your family!

    ReplyDelete