Wednesday, August 1, 2012

37 Weeks and Things I Will Miss About Being Pregnant

I am officially so over this! Throughout my entire pregnancy, people kept warning me that the last month is the hardest. I blew the warnings off, figuring that by the time that final month came, my excitement and adrenaline would create a sort of "high" that I could ride on for those last few weeks.

Wrong Carolyn, so wrong.

However there are some things that I am trying to enjoy during my 9th month. (It is such a joke that pregnancy is actually 10 months. So misleading.)


Things I will miss about being pregnant:

Unlimited Calories:
Okay, so this is not entirely true. I think the recommended increase in daily caloric intake is only about 500/day at this point. I'm pretty sure a Taco Time Big Juan Crisp (which has quickly become a daily staple) is packing more than that. But for me, someone who has had to learn to be somewhat calorie conscious in my old age, these nine months have been a blast. It's so liberating to eat whatever you want and be able to blame it on the baby! I've have developed some horrendous habits, mostly involving cheese and white bread, and it's gonna be quite the shock when I suddenly care about fitting into my normal clothes again and a diet of burritos and sno-cones isn't getting me there.

Free Foot Rubs:
When I say free, I mean foot rubs without the accompanying obligation to pay Brock back. Normally we're big back/shoulder/foot rub massage people. Not an episode of "Breaking Bad" goes by without us trading our services while watching. Pregnancy has been great because more often than not, Brock conveniently "forgets" that I owe him after my rubdown. At least, I hope he's forgetting, or else I've racked up a LOT of debt.

A Break from Fashion:
I currently fit into 3 shirts. 4 if you count the cardigan I sometimes layer on to jazz things up. Although feeling cute is out of the question these days, it's kind of nice not to have to spend time deciding what to wear. Usually only one shirt is clean at any given time anyway. I have purposely avoided spending much on maternity clothes. Why should I waste money on dressing well during a time of life that, let's face it, isn't my best, physically speaking? And even the cutest-of-cute maternity clothes look just like that- maternity clothes. I'd rather be sort of dumpy (yet comfortable) now and save that money for cute things to reward myself once I look relatively decent again.

Attention from Random Strangers:
I know this sounds creepy, like I am some insecure little girl with Daddy issues, but I actually sort of enjoy how friendly people are when you're pregnant. I feel like I am constantly getting smiles and those knowing "ah, 9 months pregnant" looks from strangers, especially women. It's like I'm in this club that a lot of us have been in (or will be in) at one point in life. I must just look like I'm having a boy, because oddly enough when a stranger attempts a gender guess, 9/10 times they get it right. One thing I hate though- random belly touching. If we know each other, great. Access granted. I have no problem with people I even somewhat know touching the goods. But when we have never met before, this is not okay. A strange woman in Hobby Lobby attempted a friendly belly pat yesterday and it shook me up so much I left without buying the craft paint I came for.

There are probably more things that I WON'T miss about being pregnant, but those are for another post.









3 comments:

  1. Just so we are clear- you're darling. So excited to see pics of that sweet babe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree more with you on all of these!! Especially the cheese. And the not having to care about fashion. It is liberating. People really are so nice to pregnant people ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to know this (because I rejoiced when I learned this): pregnancy requires an extra 300 calories per day. Nursing requires an extra 500. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete