Thursday, April 14, 2011

Baseball Musings and a Promise to Be More Dilligent in Blogging

I'm sorry. It has been just shy of a month since my last post. Do I have a good excuse? Of course not. I'm still parked here in my cubicle 8 hours a day, my face literally 12 inches from the monitor. Yes, I promise I get work done here. But I also get a lot of Craigslist searching, blog stalking and online shopping done too. (By online shopping, I mean filling up shopping carts at various websites then quickly abandoning the page when my hand starts twitching and reaching for my wallet and that oh-so-easily accessible debit card number.) So obviously I have no excuse- it is high time I get a post written, even if it is completely free of substance and wit. Here are some very important updates on our lives as of lately. (And by very important, I mean vaguely noteworthy tidbits that may or may not be worth your time reading.)

1. I have officially survived baseball widow-dom. UVU baseball is all but done traveling. I will now have a husband seven days of the week instead of three. Furthermore, graduation is fast approaching. The UVU library is my most vicious competitor for Brock's time and attention, so I'll be thrilled to claim victory on the 28th of this month when my competition will be stomped out forever. Or at least until grad school starts.

2. Along with this decrease in team travel time, there will also be a dramatic increase in the number of baseball games I will be attending. This will be good, as it will test/improve my patience (3 hours is usually standard, but 5 or even 6 is not unheard of), clothing layering skills (gotta love Utah Aprils- 70 degrees one minute, 20 the next), and cheering skills. You would not believe how hard it is to cheer at a baseball game.  There seems to be an actual language, developed solely for this sport. Words like "kid" and "babe" "hey now" are strung together in creative combinations and thrown around at speeds that would make an auctioneer jealous. I've actually heard these phrases shouted: "Throw 'em a chair!" and "Put 'em in the books!" Huh? Like, where did those come from, and how is a relatively new spectator supposed to know when to use them? I experimented with a cautious, feeble "Throw 'em a chair Brock!" a while back and have never felt so foolish in my life. So these upcoming games will definitely help improve my baseball chatter.

3. Unfortunately, actually watching Brock play may or may not be in the cards. Brock tore his MCL at practice last week. It was a grade 3 tear, which means the ligament was completely torn in two. What bad luck huh? Not only is it the worst kind of tear, but it happened in practice! That MCL could have at least decided to tear in a victorious moment of battle, maybe during the bottom of the 9th inning in a close winning game. But no, it decided to give out during a set of punishment drills that were doled out as penance for losing to BYU. We're trying to be optimistic though. Best case scenario? It heals quickly and he's back on the mound in two weeks. Worst case? Six weeks of icing, ibuprofen, physical therapy and no playing for the rest of the season. We try not to think about this, because a ligament torn in practice is really no way to end a 20 year baseball career.

Here are some of Brock's baseball pics. I like to show off how athletic and sexy and talented my husband is. 



I really do plan on getting better at this whole "regular, timely posting" thing. I also plan on getting better at actually taking my camera to events, so I can document things. I mean, my life is so fabulous, I wouldn't blame anyone for doubting the validity of my stories and demanding pictures. Although, I've made this "I'm gonna be a better blogger!" promise many a time before, so I don't blame anyone for not taking it seriously. Oh well, I can try, right?

1 comment: