Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Spring Cleaning

For many, Easter is a time of renewal, hope and refined sugar. 

After waking up this morning with what can only be described as an "excess sugar hangover", I have decided I am in major need of my own "rebirth". As part of this, I'd to use this post as an opportunity to get some things off my chest. As Usher so wisely put it back in 2004,
                                                                         these are my confessions.

5. I am an addict. I have recently acquired a mild addiction to "Desperate Housewives". (But I can quit any time, I swear.) This little indulgence began when Brock was on the road all the time for baseball. No matter how lonely those weekends got, my 4 best friends from Wisteria Lane were always there for me. Now that Brock is home more often, I'm not about to subject him to the drama and scandal I've began to crave. Instead, I've been getting my fix on my phone via Netflix while at the gym. Seriously- it's the best time killer! I hop on that stupid bike, start pedaling and one episode later, I've burned over 400 calories. I just hope those frequent drops of sweat don't cause water damage to my phone. This is where the embarrassing part comes in. So far I have watched 74 episodes. At 42 minutes each, that is 51 hours of viewing. I have literally spent over two days of my life watching a glorified soap opera. I'd say that is a horrifyingly large investment! No wonder I get so worked up over these scandals. I realized this was becoming a problem when the characters started making appearances in my dreams. But hey, for now I'm just grateful for my gym buddies. As long as they help me get through my workouts, the scandalous vixens of Wisteria Lane are here to stay.

4. I am incredibly sick of the weather. Seriously, a high of 36 degrees is great in February. Not at the end of April. I'm pretty sure "April Showers" is supposed to refer to rain, not snow, sleet and hail. (Yes, I do remember all 4 major forms of precipitation, thanks to PBS's "Bill Nye the Science Guy" and an 8th grade teacher who apparently got paid to pop in a recorded VHS just about every class period.) I have always hated the mentality held by almost every Southern California native; it seems like everyone I've met from down there is always complaining about Utah weather and whining about how much they miss home and how much better everything is there. As much as I hate this, I have to admit that deep down I must be jealous; I think they might be right. I'm loving the idea of year long warm weather and Brock is all about high schools with prominent athletic programs. The beach is a definite plus. I think I'd officially like to live in Southern California someday. There, I said it. Laugh it up, Belmont South Ward.

3. I am NOT a saver. In a fit of therapeutic "Spring Cleaning", I literally threw away 2/3 of my clothes. And I feel great about it. There is no use congesting my already small closet with heaps of rags that either don't fit, are covered in stains, or are associated in my mind with an "ugly day". (Sometimes all it takes is one day of feeling ugly while wearing a particular shirt, and it's forever ruined for me.) Brock says all of my clothes look the same anyway. He can supposedly take one look at the Banana Republic (Factory Outlet, of course) rack and before the fact guess what I'm going to pick up. Apparently it is easy, because according to Brock, everything I like is gray and "pirate-ish". I realize I may now be alternating between 3 shirts, but you better believe they are solid (gray pirate) shirts.

2. Speaking of not being a saver, I am currently trying to sell my wedding dress on KSL/Craigslist. I have a few people coming to look at it this week, and I'm crossing my fingers that it will sell. I got really close to pawning it off in January, when a bride-to-be showed some real interest. However, I'm pretty sure I scared her off by hovering over her the entire time and aggressively peppering the already forced conversation with compliments and the product's finest selling points. My new strategy? Let the dress sell itself.

1. I am seriously considering going to hair school. I have secretly always wanted to do hair. Ever since I was a little girl, I've wanted one of those styrofoam heads with style-able fake hair. I used to mess around with my "Crimp 'n Curl Pony" for hours, meticulously styling that wire-laced yarn mane. High school was spent sacrificing my own head of hair (and the heads of all my friends) to the cause of mastering the foil weave method. All this practice has paid off, however, because by now I have actually gotten pretty good! My mom is a very straightforward critic, and even she admitted that I did a great job on her highlights and bang trim. I have also come to accept that I officially hate desk jobs. I despise sitting in front of a computer screen. I tire of working the same hours every day. I don't enjoy corresponding only via phone/email. But... I do love talking to people in real life, doing things with my hands, and having a creative outlet. Styling hair is something I could do in order to make a little extra money should we need it, yet also stay home with our future kids. The thought of getting paid to do something so fun seems unreal. I guess having a job that is less than fulfilling has made me realize how much I don't want to (or have to) be stuck in this situation forever. Anyway, it's fun to think about and hopefully I'll get it all figured out soon!

3 comments:

  1. Ok, I simply must comment because I relate like you wouldn't even believe to numbers 3 and 1.
    3. Whatever the opposite of a Hoarder is- I am that. I don't crave to have things, I crave SPACE! I see a closet/cabinet/cluttered area and think, "How can I clear this whole area out??" Oh, a nice empty space of clean carpet is balm to my soul! Enough that I'm rhapsodizing about it!
    1. I JUST had this conversation with my sister! I swear, if hair school didn't cost practically a million dollars, I would take it and nursing school together. Like, just to do hair on the side. PLUS girls that do hair always have the BEST hair because they have the connections to all their awesome hair school friends. I need these connections! And every family needs a good hairstylist within it!

    And, yikes, this is me being obnoxious and writing practically a post of its own in your comments section!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I think it is simply brilliant you are selling your wedding dress!--genius!--perhaps I should do the same--only how many midgets are there in Utah who could wear the thing!?
    I forgot about the stylin pony with crimp hair! this was a favorite. You were always so meticulous with the wire! haha
    I completely agree--why does education have to cost so much? I can think of a couple things I'd rather do than staring blankly into a screen and counting down the hours while my brain turns into a bowl of mush! I would love to be an interior designer or home organization expert--or perhaps an esthetician--if only it didn't cost $15,000 just to learn how to give someone a facial and paint their nails! ugh... life really isn't always fair. Have you looked into any programs or are you just dreaming? p.s. you can cut and dye my hair anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too funny. I know I say it all the time but I love reading your blog. You crack me up! I think you would make a GREAT hair stylist!!

    ReplyDelete