Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Taste of Home


Something wonderful happened on the way home from work today. 

I noticed two things. 1- A “Grand Opening” sign in front of the once empty "Winco Foods" building. 2- Cars in the parking lot. Aside from anything having to do with our baby, I haven’t been so excited in months. 



I love Winco. 

It is by far my favorite grocery store, no contest. Everything ALWAYS seems to be on sale at Winco. I’ve never seen mango salsa (the good Chachies brand) sold for more than $1.79. That is a STEAL, my friends. And the aisles? So neatly marked and easy to navigate. Oh and any item that remains on the pallet it was brought in on must be a killer bargain, right? Don't even get me started on the fabulous bulk foods selection! I didn’t know that self serve hummus mix even existed. And they do have an entire sugar-free section. My old body-conscious self once tried out some sugar-free red vines, but be warned- digesting them was NOT a good experience. Let’s just say I had one of my first ultra embarrassing moments in front of my husband (then boyfriend) because of what they did to my system.

I think I mostly like Winco because it reminds me of home. Which is funny, because honestly, it had only existed there for a year when we moved to Arizona. I guess I just formed some sort of unexplainable bond. Plus, I really enjoy bagging my own groceries. 

The Glendale Winco did not disappoint today. In fact, it was delightfully similar to the Orem branch. (Does the word “branch” work here? Or does that only apply to banks and churches? Okay, the Orem “location”.) Once inside, I could have been tricked into thinking I WAS in Orem! The layout was exactly the same and the people were shockingly similar. You know how they have the “People of Walmart” websites? They really need to start a “People of Winco” edition. I’ve never seen so many stretched out tattoos/FUBU track pants in my life. The interior did smell somewhat like burnt maraconi (you know, when you accidentally drop a dry noodle under the burner) and stale cigarette smoke, but I blame that on the inhabitants, not the upstanding store itself. 

Note: I am realizing this is quickly becoming a store review. You’d think this is part of some Secret Shopper homework. Oh well, I'll run with it- here is one more helpful tidbit. Something I wouldn’t recommend buying? Personal grooming products. For some reason the toothpaste and soap seem to be marked way, WAY up. I’m sorry, but a bottle of Dove body wash for $9? I don’t need it THAT badly… I guess I’ll just sort of rinse tonight...

I just don’t know why everyone up in Orem was so upset when they lost their Nordstrom. They've had Winco all along! I mean, no, Winco doesn’t carry Michael Kors or Frye, but I’ll tell you what award winning brand they they do have- Hy Top! (Winco’s generic brand. Kind of like Western Family at Maceys. Or Kroger at Smith’s. Great Value or Equate at Walmart. Yes I have an extensive knowledge of grocery stores and their featured store brands. I could go on but don’t worry, I won’t. Have you ever baked a cake from the "Deluxe Moist" Hy Top mix? Not bad, I'm telling you. Especially for 97 cents.

Glendale, Arizona, you have finally impressed me!  I purposefully didn't buy everything we needed today. I'm sure Brock will want a shot to peruse Winco's sleek aisles. He missed this exciting outing, as he is in Scottsdale with some work friends, eating some sort of creation that was featured on Man Vs. Food. It's a burger between two grilled cheese sandwiches or something gross like that. He literally fasted all day in preparation for this. I guarantee I could make something 10 times better with ingredients purchased at... you guessed it, Winco. 


2 comments:

  1. The hummus mix is pretty good, too. Not as good as blending up your own garbanzo beans, but it saves on the blender's motor. They also have felafel mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, great review. Second of all, I second everything you just said. Winco could hands down be the greatest store to ever grace planet earth. Thanks to Corey the couch man, Brock and I were introduced to Winco. If you find somewhere that beats 17 cent Macaroni and Cheese (spirals nonetheless) then please let me know. Great blog Carolyn, and long live Winco! We need to franchise one in St. George.

    ReplyDelete