Friday, May 4, 2012

Brock's Birthday

Brock has had a birthday.

For the next two months, my husband is officially older than me.

Until July when I also turn 26. Only when that day comes will I see us as the same age again.  I feel like the older we get, the more delight I'll take in this two month period.

Actually, I really like having a husband my same age. It's kind of nice to reminisce about childhood/high school and not have to account for any sort of age discrepancy. We both burned Ja Rule CDs in 10th grade. We both sported Quiksilver/Roxy clothes in Jr. High. (If they were on sale.) And we both enjoyed the seasons when the Utah Jazz were really good. (4th-6th grade?)

I think Brock had a pretty good birthday! We honestly didn't do anything super exciting, but with everything we've had going on lately, a low key day was just what we both needed.

Some pictures:

 I told Brock we could go anywhere in the world (well , in the greater Phoenix/Glendale area) for lunch on his big day. What did he choose? Why, the Costco food court, of course. As you can see, we enjoyed quite the spread of all their finest items. Informative Tip: Do not be tempted by the menu item "Carne Asada Bake". While it looks delicious, it is disappointingly dry and tasteless.

 We decided to go to Cabela's and to look for some sort of manly birthday present. We didn't buy anything, but we did enjoy the taxidermy on display. As is obvious by the gym shorts and UVU shirt, we take birthdays very seriously and dress up accordingly.
For dinner that night, we decided to branch out from our 5 regular tried-and-true chain restaurants and venture out to enjoy some of Phoenix's finest BBQ at... "Bobby Q". Honestly, the idea started out as a joke because we thought the name was so funny, but it actually got really good reviews online, so we decided to try it out. 

 And yes, the food was actually really good! We always get nervous when branching out and going to restaurants we aren't familiar with. Last time we tried something new, we ended up paying over $100 for literally 3 bites of weird/gross French cuisine in Park City. Frustrated, unfulfilled and literally starving, I think we ended up at a Cafe Rio 20 minutes later.

Obviously I am a horrible food photographer, but the above pictures are my attempt to showcase Brock's mint Oreo birthday cake. Actually, it was a pan of brownies. In both of our opinions, brownies are way better than cake anyway.  These shots were taken before, during and after the painful but necessary Happy Birthday solo I insisted on singing from behind the camera.

We (well, actually I think it was me) accidentally threw away Brock's birthday check from his parents.This resulted in an exciting midnight rummage through the Sage Stone apartment complex dumpster. After a few fun minutes of sorting through grass clippings, sticky Coke cans and our own Hefty bag of filth, the birthday card with check inside was found! Luckily that old mattress was there or else I don't know how Brock would have gotten out.

No comments:

Post a Comment